Sunday, March 21, 2010

Time Travel

I recently had a strange urge to download some music of The Doors, one of the best known rock bands from the 60s and 70s. I love music. Music is life: timeless and memorable, yet always changing. Music and I go way back. I remember talking to my first girlfriend in high school about why I liked listening to a bunch of different bands instead of finding just one or two that I liked. I told her that music is easily associated in my mind with different memories, and that while some songs already hold meaning, I look forward to new experiences with new music in the background. I have recently expanded upon that thought and I've come to the realization that music has the magic ability to instantly transport your mind across time and space to wherever you were when you heard a song in your life. In that way, songs themselves are like different stops throughout the universe that you can return to if you just listen to the right song. First date, check. high school prom, check. Locker room before football games, check. Brother's 12th birthday party, yep. It's all there. All as accessible today as as downloading an mp3. Back to The Doors. I remember driving with my papa (mom's dad) when I was young and listening to Jim Morrison and the eclectic tunes of The Doors and being very weirded out. But recently I think back on that time, and now and I wonder where The Doors' music takes him. Then again, maybe I don't want to know. So tell me, where does your music take you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and musings are welcome. If a comment is too offensive it will be rejected at my discretion.