Friday, February 19, 2010

Nature's Wingman

I was sitting at steak dinner with some friends of mine when a thought occurred to me. Lemons are seldom eaten alone, but they make any beverage delicious.
Example:
Steve: "Man, this party is great!"
James: "I know! Did you see they put lemon slices in the water?"
Steve: "Holy f**k!"
Okay, so this may be a bit exaggerated, but not much. A slice of lemon even makes water, the most boring of beverages, a desirable and tasty drink. It was immediately after this realization that it dawned on me. Lemons are Nature's wingman.
~
One of my favorite things in the whole world is when I'm slapped in the face with a childhood memory. When I was growing up, we didn't watch a lot of TV until I was in my last year of middle school. My multimedia exposure was primarily dominated by Saturday morning cartoons, video games (which entertained me long before I knew that there even were television programs to watch) and a vast amount of movies, which brings me to my point. I've always loved animated movies, and there are a lot of movies everyone recollects when they reminisce on growing up like Aladdin, The Lion King, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, and Beauty and the Beast (or as my friend Jonathon calls it, The Tragedy of Gaston). Basically, Disney was running the show. However, there are still some great animated classics that I only recently put my mind to remembering.

~The Thief and the Cobbler - Featuring the voices of Matthew Broderick and Vincent Price, this movie went through hell to be released. Check the link to see what I'm talking about. Anyway, it is a gorgeous film and very stylized. It has a lot of great action sequences and tells the story of how a shoe maker saves a kingdom and marries a princess. This is the kind of shit we should be teaching kids.

~Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland - Inarguably an amazing work of animation. I can remember watching this growing up with my little brother. A boy is whisked away into a dream world that seemingly revolves around him. In the end he saves the Slumberland from the Nightmare King using a magic staff and yelling "Pajama Kajama!" Awesome.

~The Princess and the Goblin - Another great story from Europe about a princess who is kidnapped by goblins and a boy who saves her with the magic of singing. Apparently, goblins can't stand merriment since they are such terrible creatures.


There are a lot of movies like these that I can remember helping to mold and shape the mind of our young hero. I just hope there will be some cool stuff around for my kids when they grow up
~
As friends and family well know, there are few fighting games out there on which I don't kick royal ass. That being said, I'm really looking forward to the Super Street Fighter IV PS3 release later this year. I have always been a huge fan of the series and I can pretty much kick anyone's ass at SF II: anything as well as Capcom vs SNK: anything. Check out the newest vid of revealed characters and awesomeness!

~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and musings are welcome. If a comment is too offensive it will be rejected at my discretion.